I must admit that stitching hasn’t been a priority the last month or so, as I adapted to being on the executive of a Ladies Probus group and needed not only to organise an Installation , but also to find new meeting facilities and plan an Installation Luncheon.
I also needed to get some inspiration to stitch and embellish the several naked blocks comprising a needle book,a pin holder, a scissor keep and a gorgeous block destined to continue its life as a glasses case!
I was the first to receive A’s blocks and no matter how hard I tried, inspiration just wasn’t coming to me!
(Particularly for the Glasses case block.)
Finally, I planned to back stitch heart outlines and fill them with silk ribbon flowers and a few beads for extra effect.Unfortunately, the heart outlines were swallowed up by the silk ribbon flowers I added.
This plan also gave me the incentive to dye some silk ribbons, something I haven’t done for the longest time. I dyed some pansy , Lavender and blush pink. I still had sufficient green ribbon from previous dyeing days
Below that seam treatment, I used two strands of Marlitt Decora in a turquoise to chain stitch above and below the seam line. In each curve I then stitched a turquoise seed bead flanked by a pearl “rice grain” bead.
Just when I thought I had finished with this block, I remembered some pale grey tatting that I thought might help the eye to travel down from the beige broderie motif I had added in the upper right hand corner! Now it was time to stop and leave room for my other “tortoise” friends to stitch up a storm
Time to tear myself away from this block, and start on the Pin-keep block!
Arlene constructed a circular block consisting of four segments, with finished diameter of three inches for the Pin keep..
So easy to be over enthusiastic and cover the entire block! But I restrained myself
Using an Edmar (Iris) thread # 167 I chain stitched a dusky pink stem to which I added blossom pink SRE rosebuds and leaves, plus silver charm leaves.
Then nearly perpendicular to that seam I again used the turquoise Marlitt thread in a fly stitch.
A gold cat charm was then added over some blossom pink petals on the palest fabric block.
Finally, I stitched the Needle-book block!
In retrospect, it was actually the first block I worked on, rather than last.
Using a variegated green Iris/Edmar thread and using SharonB’s CQ stencils, I stitched some baseless triangles above a seam. Below each “hill” I added a trefoil in palest pink rice beads, whilst in the “valleys” simple lazy daisy flowers were added….again using Edmar (Iris weight) threads.
A cream braid was laid over the seam line of the cream patch, and small pearl beads added to the centre of the braid.
There is still a fourth naked block that I have not stitched upon: the Scissor keeper!
Because the patches in these blocks are so small, I felt that I shouldn’t hog all the blocks. (So easy to do, when the patches are so small. I hope Claire and Arlene are content with the areas I have left untouched!
Now to send the blocks travelling again. It will be interesting to see the completed project in a month or so.