The past couple of weeks , after the unsuccessful surgery, I haven’t been at all active with my sewing.
However, with a few cooler days, and the surgery site not so tender I am getting back into the swing of things. My current project has an African influence, and , using “Hatched in Africa” motifs as a starting point I am”on the way”
These talented ladies (Hatched in Africa) have a wonderful assortment of designs depicting African life : Animals;Ladies; Masks.the list goes on.
Because I have recently been engrossed in reading Lawrence Haevey’s “Babylon’s Ark”
“Elephant Whisperer ” and “The last Rhino” I felt it only fitting to use African animals in this theme. Using some previously rusted fabric and a batik I stitched outlines of Elephant,Buffalo and Giraffe.
On some of the pieces, you can see where I have used Derwent Inktense Pencils to add some vegetation. I thought this wasn’t going to be sufficiently distinct, so I have started adding hand stitching to complement the scene.Stranded DMC cotton is being used to build up the tree trunk,and some leaves.
Other leaves, using home dyed 1/4inch silk ribbon. I needed dye some fresh supplies of ribbon this morning and it struck me that it’s the first silk ribbon dyeing I have done in five years!! I will need correct that..and get back to my first love: Handwork!