I’m slowly catching up on projects that were delayed by a recent bout of bronchitis, and after I mail these Gelli plate based post cards I will make a start on a “stamped” theme, but more of that later. I have had the basic prints for some time, but I had no idea WHAT to add to them to complete the postcard. Finally I decided that the first one could be used to represent a caged bird (something which I HATE with a vengeance, as I think all birds should fly free), so the chicken wire of the cage is BEHIND the warbler. I used a honey comb shaped stencil to represent the chicken wire of the aviary.
The second print was made by “splodging” a purple paint as well as a bright yellow and blending both down with white. I then used a wooden skewer to “draw” simplistic flowers over the fabric. To tone in with the yellow paint I chose to fussy cut a yellow breasted bird and appliqué it as a focal point.
Card number three, is a combination of two Gelli prints: The background is a combination of blue and pink paints over which I have scribbled with that skewer again. I then fussy cut a lavender butterfly from another gelli print to applique as a central feature.
Finally, the fourth postcard! The back ground fabric was a blue which was overlaid over a white paint that had been left to dry. I over painted the white layer with the blue paint then dragged a plastic spatula over the wet paint to gain an abstract noughts and crosses impression. Once again a strip of floral fabric was fussy-cut to emphasize the shapes of the crocus flowers and then some tulle was overlaid to add depth to the floral fabric. Maybe I should have attempted to incorporate more effects through successive layers of Gelli prints, but I felt uncomfortable with more than mono printing, and I turned to embellishment to complete the effect. I hope my swap partners enjoy my attempts.