Several weeks back over on Being Creatively (a private FB group) Myfanwy suggested that we “play” with intersecting stripes as a preparatory step to making a fabric postcard. I have been interested for some time in Ricky Timms method of “convergence”, and wondered if it would work with a regular striped fabric rather than batik type of irregular striping. So……..I pulled two striped fabrics from my stash, cut several different widths of the fabrics and proceeded.
Although I achieved a pleasing (to me anyway) pattern, the results were not what I hoped for: You really need the fluid lines of a batik print cut into varying widths, plus another pattern :maybe a bright floral to counterbalance the muted shades of the batik……….I do know that my choice didn’t work. 😦
But I will try to “converge” again with different fabrics, another time. However, not being happy with either of the preceding cards, I decided to relax with a spot of silk ribbon embroidery: I used iron-on black tape for the stained glass effect “frame” and a black crochet thread in Cretan stitch to frame the lavender fabric. Silk ribbon embroidered flowers spiced with seed bead centres and sequin leaves were added to complete the card.
It is so long since I did much handwork that I am finding my fingers joints are not as supple as they should be. It’s just as well that I am trying to keep up with the TAST challenge this year. Now that my card are ready to mail out, I hope to catch up on LAST week’s TAST exercise, which was FEATHER stitch. My usual story………I wanted to work several variations of the stitch, and so far I have only worked the basic stitch. It’s just as well that Sharon isn’t a severe task master!